Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Goodbye Spidey

The editor of 'g' can deny any comic strip experimentation at the Boston Globe, but yesterday was proof that change is afoot in the funny pages.

Yes, it has taken me until 6:00 this morning to finish reading yesterday's Globe.  Yes, I did put it down between now and the time I bought it yesterday morning.

Page 19 of g features a new strip called Dustin by Steve Kelley and Jeff Parker.  I've never heard of it.  It's in the #2 slot on page 19, right under Zippy.  I stared for a long time, trying to place what occupied this space last week.  I took a census of the page but still couldn't identify the missing comic strip.  After a trip to the recycling box, I had my answer.

Goodbye, Spidey.

It's no loss from a literary standpoint.  This does, however, subtract the one "drama" strip from the Globe's comics pages.  What's left are thirty "funnies."  Very few of these are actually funny even though yesterday's F Minus was pretty good.

7 comments:

Suldog said...

There are few actual "funnies" these days. Most are misplaced editorial cartoons. Whatever happened to the days when the comics were just plain fun and didn't have a "viewpoint"?

La Belle Esplanade said...

I know. Even though I hold out hope every day, I mainly read them out of habit.

joecab said...

Hallelujah!

I love Stan, but those one week storylines stretched out over months get on your nerves. Here's hoping Adam (the guy who took over is terrible) and Prickly City are next on the chopping block.

MrGoodmorning said...

Eh, I don't mind Prickly City so much. It's not from my viewpoint, but overall it's not dumbed down, seems to respect discourse and can be funny sometimes (besides, remember that asshole duck? That was almost always in poor taste and never funny). I'd rather see Pooch Cafe go next. The artwork is good, but the writing and storylines are just awful.

Dmost said...

"Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can." I loved the cartoon as a kid (and Tobey Maguire wasn't bad in the first movie). But the cartoon had run its course, and we thought Dustin, as far as Funnies go, was pretty darn funny. If you read the comics, give it a chance.
Doug Most, Features Editor, Globe

La Belle Esplanade said...

Thanks Mr. Most.
You made the right choice giving Spiderman the hook but do all they all have to be humor strips?

Anonymous said...

You have to be joking. The old Adam was a complete piece of crap. The new one looks and reads better.

Prickly City looks like it was drawn by someone with no hands ... and written by someone unfamiliar with the language.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails