Thursday, October 14, 2010

New Orleans' eyeglass museum



New Orleans has a wax museum, a pharmacy museum, a Civil War museum, the National WWII Museum, and the Great American Alligator Museum (which seems to be closed but is gorgeous to imagine being open nonetheless based on the sign and window display), as well as two art museums, Louisiana's state history museum and who knows what else.

I know another.  It is the eyeglass museum.  It's not an eyeglass museum in the sense that this place is, but I spent a half hour today examining the collection.  I'll try to stop by tomorrow and take some pictures for the big reveal.  It will be posted on Saturday, I'm afraid.  We are going to the opera tomorrow night: Porgy and Bess at the Mahalia Jackson Theater.  Gershwin.  I love Gershwin.

I've seen Hershey Felder play George Gershwin twice on stage in Hartford, Conn.  If he comes to New Orleans I'll see him again.  If you think that's improbable, I'll tell you otherwise.  The two gents I saw in "The Mystery of Irma Vep" in Hartford are in town at Le Chat Noir at the moment performing the same exact script.  They are great and the play is great, bawdy, quick-costume-changing fun.  Recommended.  We are going to see that too.  See you there.

-WK

A different video version featuring Gershwin on the ivories once removed.  Fascinating stuff.  Don't complain about hearing Rhapsody in Blue more than once in a day.  There's no such thing as too much goodness in the world....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails