Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Dixie Beer

Not seen at the WalMart on Tchoupitoulas Street.  In New Orleans, this would be a fleur-de-lis.
I ride my bicycle down Tulane Avenue fairly frequently and it always fills my heart with sorrow when I pass the abandoned Dixie Brewery.  If the view from the front isn't painful enough, I often take Banks Street because it has less traffic and the view the back is even more forlorn.

According to Wikipedia, the damage was done after the levees broke in 2005 and the brewery was flooded and then looted of equipment and scrap metal.  I haven't looked into the history that deeply but I believe the scrap metal theory more than the equipment one.  I can't see a pawn shop fencing industrial-grade brewing vats.

Dixie is still around.  It's brewed by contract now apparently.  It isn't the best beer in town but it's an honest beer and it's a New Orleans beer.  Drinking Dixie is like being in Pennsylvania and drinking Yuengling, which was a pleasure to sip while I was passing through PA.  Drinking Dixie in New Orleans is like living in southeastern New England and drinking The Official Beer of the Clam.  Like the folks at Narragansett Brewery say, "You're not from New England if you're not drinking Narragansett."    

I think Dixie needs to print rebuses and trivia on the underside of their bottle caps.  That would be icing on the cake or head on the pint, as it were.

Cheers!
WK

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails