Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Worms in the snow

It wasn't too cold but there was still snow on the ground yesterday as I was walking homeways down Tuttle Street.  Passing one house I noticed what appeared to be an unopened bag of sour gummi worms poking out of a snow pile.  It was the worms' neon colors that caught my eye.

I picked up the bag to verify that it was unopened.  I wasn't going to take them, I was just curious why they were there.  As I did so, a voice said, "Hey! Put that down!"  It was a child's voice, very commanding, but I was alone on the street.  Leprechaun?

"Put it down!" the voice repeated and I noticed it came from a window facing me that was cracked open.  The curtains were drawn.  "I was just looking," I told the window, "Why are these worms in the snow?"  The voice said, "I'm chilling them.  They're better that way."

I asked, "Don't you have a refrigerator?" and as I did the front door opened.  A woman glared at me while holding a broom with the business end held high, in swat position.  "Put the candy down and back away, Mister," she said.  I held up my hands and did as I was told.

"You just head on your way.  There's nothing for you here."  As I walked down the street I turned my head.  The lady of the house was standing in the snow where I had been and she was holding up the bag of candy.  "It's okay, Franklin," she said while facing the window, "He didn't hurt anything and I think these are just about right now."

Sheesh!  This was one of my kookiest encounters, even by the usual Dot standards.  Life goes on.

3 comments:

Suldog said...

Funny story. Discretion was definitely the better part of valor in this instance. No use getting swatted by a madwoman wielding a broom :-)

(My word verification is "whoobili". Somehow, it fits.)

Rachel said...

I also live in Dorchester and I also like my gummies chilled. But I put them in my glove compartment. This is a safe place and has the added benefit of being out-of-sight/out-of-mind so you're overjoyed when you find them a week later. In other news, someone in my building is curing bacon...on my back porch. I can see it out my window. ??

La Belle Esplanade said...

Suldog, I hate to be on the receiving end of a swat. I'm sure you've never been in that situation.

Rachel, You never know what you'll see around these parts, do you? It keeps things interesting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails