Friday, January 08, 2010

Boston's best pho

Overheard outside Wagamama in the Prudential Center...  An ebullient, slender, middle-aged woman with short-cropped, blond hair was rubbing her midriff while carrying a Vineyard Vines shopping bag.  Her companion was a sullen, doughy twenty-something.  Their looks were similar enough that a mother-daughter assumption is justified.

Mother:  "That was the most delicious noodle soup.  I don't know where you can get such good soup anywhere else."  She patted her small paunch while she said this.

The daughter rolled her eyes, looking downward in the direction of Olympia Sports:  "There are a dozen places in Dorchester.  Hell, half a dozen are in Field's Corner."

Mother:  "I've never been to Dorchester."

Daughter:  "You don't even know the Red Line goes past South Station."
  

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Reminds me of the many years I played softball in Southie and some of the folks I played with had never in their entire lives ventured beyond the Broadway Bridge. I'd start talking about some restaurant in Newton and I may as well have been talking about a trip to Mars :-)

La Belle Esplanade said...

I hate to admit that I'm that way too. I'm trying to get out and about more, but my needs are basically met within city limits.

Thanks, Suldog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails