Monday, February 23, 2009

Bagels in Dorchester

We were at Logan International Airport yesterday and purchased a coffee at the Bruegger's Bagels in Terminal E. The professionalism of the clerk impressed us so we picked up an application to join the Bruegger's team to "have fun and make dough," as the brochure says.

According to the official listing on the application, Bruegger's has four locations in Boston: on School Street, on Longwood Avenue, on Congress Street, and, under a heading all its own, at 644 Beacon Street in Kenmore Square. I noticed something was missing and not just the airport franchise. People in Dorchester enjoy a good bagel as much as the folk that crowd Downtown Crossing.

The Ba Le Bakery is proof enough that Dorchesterites appreciate specialty bread. Dot Ave is usually congested with double parked mini-vans in front of this shop for their buy-two-get-three deal. The very fine Mud House down in Neponset has bagels but they aren't the house specialty. Dorchester could use a good bagel shop that specializes in bagels even if it is a chain, even if it is Bruegger's and not Finagle-a-Bagel. There is a vacuum that needs to be filled.

I filled out the application with black pen but I haven't mailed it yet. I don't know if I want to serve bagels and sandwiches to tourists downtown or in Longwood or at the airport, when I could be serving them to my Dorchester neighbors who need a good bagel as much as the next guy. This is the kind of minor ethical dilemma that keeps me up nights. Maybe my community would be better served if I took a second, part time job manning the aisles at the A.J. Wright at Fields Corner. I'm all for "having fun and making dough" but I'd rather do both in Dorchester. It's nice here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our man on the Dot:

We have had two bagel shops in Dorchester in recent years, and neither survived. Both were on Morrissey (meat is murder) Blvd - a Brueggers next to the Star/Shaw's near the Globe, and an Einstein's next to Boston Chicken. I don't know why people in Dorchester don't support bagels, but seemingly, they don't.

La Belle Esplanade said...

It doesn't make much sense. Who doesn't like a good bagel? Heck, the Shaw's parking lot is crowded with students looking for something to chew on.

Perhaps the reasons about Mr. Morrissey's conjectured appearnance in the Dot come the end of March have to do with the eponymously named boulevard that runs through our neck of the woods. We'll have to wait and see if this rumor has any truth to it.

Expect a full report on April 1.

Anonymous said...

I was born at St. Margaret's Hospital, and lived in Dorchester most of my life. My maiden name is Morrissey. My brother has the same name as the boulevard, however, I've been told the boulevard branch are "different" Morrisseys", probably 3rd or 4th cousins. [Perhaps the reasons about Mr. Morrissey's conjectured appearnance in the Dot come the end of March]. <--What does this quote mean? Never heard it before.

La Belle Esplanade said...

Please see the previous day's post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails