Thursday, March 10, 2011

Eating Crawfish in New Orleans

It is true that portion sizes tend to be large in New Orleans.  The food is good and people like to enjoy it. Now that Lent is upon us and many people are eschewing meat, it seems it is the season for boiling crawfish.  The weather is certainly  nice enough for cooking outdoors.

An excerpt from today's Times-Picayune:
"...4 to 5 pounds per pounds [of crawfish] per person is typical for a South Louisiana boil.  People here can, and will, put them away.  Outsiders, not so much.  Figure 2 pounds for out-of-towners."

4 to 5 pounds?!?!  I can't say I'm surprised.  Much of the weight is comprised of shell, which is inedible, but when I buy crawfish for dinner, I buy a total of two pounds for both the lady of the  house and I.  It is more than enough.

We haven't been to a crawfish boil yet.  When I read the recipes in the article it mentioned putting frozen corn in the boil.  I assumed it meant kernels but later figured out that it's frozen corn on the cob.  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  Corn on the cob is something I've always bought fresh toward the end of summer.  As usual, every day here is a learning experience.

The full T-P article here.

I've tried sucking the heads but don't find it particularly appetizing.  I'm a person who eats the lobster's tomalley with gusto.  I'm sure I'll acquire a taste for the head eventually.  Waste not, want not.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails