Sunday, February 13, 2011

New Orleans Marathon

The marathon began today at 7:00AM on Tchoupitoulas Street.  I was posted between miles 11 and 12 for the half marathon runners and miles 15 and 16 for those running the full marathon.  The first runners, for the half marathon passed my post at 7:45.  Which seems very fast.  Maybe my watch is off.

The leaders for the full marathon passed around 8:20.

  The leaders were far in advance of everyone else.  Then the crowd became thicker and Esplanade Avenue stayed pretty congested until 10:30 or so.
I walked up to Broad Avenue to capture runners in front one of our local landmarks.  While here, I think I saw our Mayor in the final mile and of the half marathon.  I'm not telling what time that was, but it was very impressive.

Here's another landmark:
The highlight of the day was seeing my hero run past.  Naturally someone ran between us just as the camera's shutter opened:
Oh well.  At least I saw Captain America in person.  He is as tall as I've always imagined.

At 11:00 I went for a bike ride.  The walkers were bringing up the rear by then and there didn't look like any end in sight.  The policewoman on North Tonti Street said they were expecting another few hours.  When I got back at noon, the street was opened again and the race was done.  There's certainly a lot of room on Esplanade Avenue when there aren't any cars parked on it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails