Thursday, November 18, 2010

The NOLA Overground

Because of geology New Orleans can't really have a subway.  Here is a map of what a light rail system could look like.  Just this week I was saying that the only thing I miss about Boston is being able to take the train everywhere.  That map inspires a strongly positive Pavlovian reaction in this confirmed mass transit advocate and user.

Discovery of this vision is courtesy of The Lens, which I rarely read but probably should.  Then I would know that this week is transit week in New Orleans.  

It would be interesting to learn more about this light rail proposal.  Dedicated lanes and stations or at least smart cards would be a necessity.  As I mentioned a few weeks ago, buses qualify as mass transit but they are so danged slow they don't have much advantage over individual means of transport beyond being able to read while you travel.  I race the St. Charles Avenue streetcar most mornings.   I'll let you imagine who wins without really trying or exceeding the speed limit.  No offense to the streetcar.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  It's just not a way to get anywhere in a hurry.  That may be the New Englander in me talking; all business and mission with no time to smell the flowers along the way.

Dreams of an interconnected system courtesy of Transport for Nola, an organization without much information on its website but big dreams nonetheless.  A tip of the fedora is due.  That map is worthy of the MBTA, the best thing about being in Boston.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails