Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Boston pizza vs. New Orleans pizza

Still on the same block of Magazine Street.  With a few interuptions, I started this photo series weeks ago.
While I lived in Boston I worked in the Longwood Medical Area.  I was reminded of it while looking at the picture here.  In just a few blocks of each other are Brigham and Women's Hospital, Dana Farber Cancer Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Harvard Dental School, and the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.  New England Baptist Hospital is a few blocks away at the very top of the hill.  I'm probably leaving something out.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I enjoyed walking across the lawn of Harvard Medical School on Louis Pasteur Avenue to get to work.  Beautiful building.  No point in linking to where I said it before since I just said it again.

Boston is a bigger city, of course, but I am struck by the concentration of biomedical technology and research and healthcare delivery in the city.  New Orleans is trying to build the infrastructure to be a hub of this, but I suspect this will just attract a sliver of the pie in this direction.  There may be state aid but there won't be the economy of scale.  Of course, if the state and city didn't encourage biotech they would be accused of missing the bandwagon on this trend.

Also in the Longwood Medical Area are seven pizzerias.  New Orleans isn't a pizza town.  You can buy a pie but I don't any shops selling pie by the slice.  Nobody walks around nibbling one.  Where I come from we call it pizza pie.  I haven't eaten much pizza in New Orleans but I haven't had a bad pie yet.  I've only been to two pizzerias and both were better than your average New England pie.

I'm not going to drone on about pizza today.  If you want to learn more, you can click the "pizza" tag below.  You'll find out all about Boston pizza from whatever comes up.

My favorite so far in New Orleans?  Rocky's.  It reminds of me of when I was a kid in Connecticut.  It is not as good as the best pie in Boston which a trip to our archives will reveal.

3 comments:

Robert Morris said...

For pizza by the slice, try Slice, up on the Jefferson Avenue end of Magazine Street.

hope all is well...

Robert

Michelle H. said...

Sorry I've been absent reading posts lately. Took a break from the ol' blogosphere. Pizza tastes are pretty diverse in Pittsburgh. I haven't found one I'm absolutely dying to proclaim the best. Still have to keep looking and compare.

Sounds like you've settled down nicely in New Orleans.

La Belle Esplanade said...

Rob't: Slice makes a good pie though I haven't been to that location. I never see anyone ordering or eating just a slice or a pizza display by the register on St. Charles Ave. so I didn't think they sold a single portion. Thanks for the advice. They deserve a plug.

Welcome back, Michelle. I can't say you missed too much. Just one adventure following another. You know how it goes. I don't eat a lot of pizza or hot dogs but I find sampling them one of life's most rewarding endeavors.

Set the bar high!

With a handshake,
WK

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails