Saturday, September 04, 2010


The utility pole banners on this stretch of Magazine Street call it Magazine Row.  The heart of the area is Sophie Bell Wright Place.  It's very nice and I enjoy walking around here though I don't do any actual shopping.

I've taken pictures of all the signs that hang under the balconies for a picture essay but that's more pasting than I care to engage in at one sitting.  I much prefer to type.  So...guess what our illustrations will be for the next few weeks? Yup.  You guessed right.  See you tomorrow.  In sum, they make for an interesting example of gentrification brings.  Nothing wrong with it, in theory of course, but this is what your urban planners have in mind when they set their sights on Treme or anywhere else that they think deserves a master plan, which would be all of New Orleans.

In the meantime, here's the statue of educator Sophie Bell Wright.
WK

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails