Sunday, September 26, 2010

Plantation Tour

Not Laura.
We went to a tour of the Laura Plantation in Vacherie, about an hour toward Baton Rouge.  It was okay.  The cost was $18 per adult and the tour lasted about an hour and forty-five minutes.  You'll learn about the plantation's proprietors.  The tour is a little skimpy on anything else and it was interrupted periodically with spiels for items sold in the gift shop.  Not great but not bad.  The best tourist attraction in Louisiana?  I don't know, I haven't visited many beyond the city of New Orleans.  I can't say I learned much and I can't say I wasted my time.  It was interesting, if thin gruel.

Laura Plantation.

As for Vacherie, we've never seen a place like this.  None of the roads we went down are connected to those that run parallel.  No cross streets.  After about a half mile, you cross the railroad tracks and land in sugar cane fields with small road side cemeteries.  It's all dirt roads on the other side of the tracks.  This isn't affluent or cosmopolitan country.  There's nothing wrong with that, but if you don't have any business there, there's no reason to visit.  I'll stick closer to home.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails