Friday, August 06, 2010

New Orleans dream

From the Man of La Mancha:

“To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe, to bear with unbearable sorrow, to run where the brave dare not go. To right the unrightable wrong, to love pure and chaste from afar, to try when your arms are too weary, to reach the unreachable star. This is my quest: to follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far.”


I live in New Orleans.  My dream has come true.  I have followed my star and reached it.  It's like walking on the moon.   


The city has seen tough times, tougher than I'll never know.  I just got here.  There are tough times ahead.  Heck, I spent time in St. Roch today (look at those street names in the first paragraph of this link!).  While I don't always agree with the methods Mayor Mitch Landrieu is employing, I admire his vision.  I understand that after the dismally unaccountable Nagin administration, a climate change is necessary to build trust.  As a new New Orleanian, I'll try to do my part to make a better life for myself and for my new home.  


I don't think there's a better city in the world.  If I feel like Don Quixote sometimes, it's only because I don't share Sancho Panza's point of view.  There is little wiggle room for cynicism in a city robustly overflowing with hope and creative passion.  
I wouldn't dream of living anywhere else now.  I'm home.

1 comment:

Anita said...

I'm enjoying your reports of exploring and discovering this fascinating place. I've been meaning to ask if you have noticed the upcoming Rising Tide and to say that I do hope you can plan to go.

http://www.risingtidenola.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails