Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose

Who says Boston is a museum that was trapped in rose colored amber just after the American Revolution? I've been gone a week, between August 1 and August 9, and the times they have a'changed.

The sales tax went up. I knew it was going to happen but I didn't realize how it would affect me or even when. Well, it affected me this morning when I bought a coffee at J.P. Licks. Instead of $2.05 cents, the register rang up $2.07. I'm glad I was looking because I only handed the manager my usual two Washingtons and a nickel. He didn't say anything and took it as payment in full without comment, but when I looked at the register screen, I realized I entered a new Massachusetts when I disembarked from American Airlines flight 5326 on Sunday evening. I should have already known.

Yesterday, I went to Eagle Liquors on Dot Ave and purchased a liter of Cossack brand vodka. Instead of the $8.99 I've grown accustomed to paying, I now have to pay sales tax at the packy. Total purchase price thanks to the Commonwealth: $9.55. I was caught off guard at the time but I had inquired last month when this would be going into effect. The full 6.25% being more onerous than the added 1.25% on everything else I may purchase.

The biggest news tectonic shift in my parochial world is that the MBTA has a new "interim" general manager. Daniel Grabauskas has been forced to resign while I was enjoying the delights of New Orleans' mass transit system. I've never had any complaints about the T except that it doesn't run through my back yard all night. Despite that, I find it useful and I haven't any complaints about Mr. Grabauskas' performance. He has done well enough with the tools he's been given. Will a mass transit overhaul be in our future? I doubt it, but I think Mr. Grabauskas did a good enough job and I don't see the need to pay out a severance package for what will probably be an equal level of dysfunction if not more so under an interim manager.

The only thing that hasn't changed is that Mayor Menino is still steady at the helm. I've slept well knowing some things are constant. Also, I'm wearing a jacket on my porch at 6:30 PM on August 11. Boston's weather is as lackluster as its leadership. Nothing wrong with that, of course, if it works.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails