Thursday, July 15, 2010

A busy port in any storm

We went to the Riverview Park and watched the barges go up and down the Mississippi.  It's amazing how busy the river is.  I normally don't see it, so today was a nice respite.  It's supposed to rain for the next three days.
One tug was pushing five barges.  Others were shorter trains.  Speaking of trains, the Public Belt railroad pulled through.  They have an exceptional logo and the corporation itself is a good idea.  I don't know much about it and how it affects commerce but, from their website at least, they seem to be beyond political manipulation in favor of commerce.  I don't understand the ins and outs of port operation.  I've never seen a port as busy as New Orleans.

Both New London, Conn. and Boston, Mass. are port cities that I've spent considerable time in.  They don't seem to handle a fraction of the traffic that plies the Mississippi up to New Orleans and beyond.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails