Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What's in a name?


If you look at the top of this page, you'll see the name of this blog is the Dot Matrix.  This is because I've been headquartered the last three years in Dorchester, Mass., the biggest and best of Boston's neighborhoods.  Dorchester is affectionately referred to as Dot by those who live there.  It is a pleasant shorthand turn of name.

It took awhile for me to change the name of the blog to Dot Matrix.  This originally started with the eponymous title Whalehead King, which was fitting enough since articles tended to emphasize the author's exploits tooling around New London, Conn. on a motor scooter.  After a few months, the Dot Matrix title took hold since the focus had changed more to the tessallations of a wide ranging, interwoven sub-unit of a major city.

I find myself in another major city, one far different from the one I left.  I'm not against changing the blog's name once again but I'm not sure what it should be.  Dot Matrix still works fine for me in the idea that my viewpoint is a dot in a wider weave and weft and woof that is New Orleans.  It may take a while before I settle on a masthead.  Nothing is broken but I can't resist fiddling.  A person shouldn't mess with perfection, but this blog is far from perfect.  After a week in New Orleans permanently (today is Day Eight) I am still getting my bearings.  Fools change a name where angels keep conservative?

While I am toying with new names to indicate my new direction, I haven't settled on a compass point yet.  Stay tuned.  Soon enough, ye olde Whalehead King will hit his stride and begin reporting his world as he encounters it: fresh off the griddle.  Until then, I'm afraid these posts will be noodling, stumbling voyages in discovering my surroundings.  I haven't written any gold for a few weeks.

Apologies for the thin gruel and thanks for checking in.  We guarantee shiny nuggets of interesting prose will be forthcoming.  Until then: stay tuned and thanks for showing up.

With a handshake,
WK

3 comments:

Urban Mechanic said...

As a resident of the DOT and someone both intimately familiar and in love with NOLA, I look forward to seeing the evolution of posts and any eventual name changes...

best of luck with your new ventures!

Michelle H. said...

I was wondering if you were going to change the title. I look forward to reading your posts, and commenting more often when time allows and I'm free from the current living arrangement situation.

La Belle Esplanade said...

Thank you both. A name change is probably inevitable but I'm not in any particular rush. NOLA is like a fever dream and I stumble over new inspiration around every corner. It's going to take a while for this Nutmeg Yankee to get his bearings. Thanks for bearing with me.

Cheers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails