I was wondering about the MBTA Route 28-X that was supposed to bring high-speed bus service along Blue Hill Avenue. I thought it was a good idea when it was proposed but I thought I should test my instinct.
I took bus # 0821 on the existing Route 28 yesterday morning. What follows is the arrival time for each stop, the name of the stop, and how many people were on the bus when the bus pulled away.
10:40. Depart Mattapan Station up Blue Hill Avenue. 2 people aboard.
- 10:41. Mattapan Square. 10 people
- 10:43. Babson Street. 12 people
- 10:44. Woodland Street. 12 people
- 10:44. Almont Street. 14 people
- 10:45. Norfolk Street. 13
- 10:46. Wilmore Street. 13. 6 degrees C per Frugal Furniture sign.
- 10:47. Evelyn Street. 15
- 10:47. Woolson Street. 14
- 10:49. Morton Street. 14
- 10:50. Woodrow Avenue. 16
- Arbutus Street. No stop.
- Calendar Street. No stop.
- 10:52. Westview Street. 17
- VA Health Center. No stop.
- 10:53. Talbot Avenue. 18
- Vesta Street. No stop.
- 10:54. Blue Hill Avenue at Wales Street. 17
- 10:55. Charlotte Street. 17
- 10:57. Ellington Street - Columbia Road - Franklin Park Zoo. 19
- 10:57. Pasadena Road. 18
- 10:58. Castlegate Road. 16
- 11:01. Warren Street at Sunderland Street - Grove Hall. 17
- 11:02. Intervale Street. 18
- 11:02. Gaston Street. 20
- Holburn Street. No stop.
- 11:03. Quincy Street. 24
- 11:03. Savin Street - YMCA. 26
- 11:04. Maywood Street. 25
- 11:05. Woodbine Street - Mall of Roxbury. 26
- 11:05. Waverly Street. 27
- 11:06. Montrose Street. 25
- 11:07. Warren Street at Moreland Street. 27
- Kearsage Avenue - Roxbury District Courthouse. No stop.
- 11:10. Dudley Station. 13 passengers.
- Malcolm X Boulevard at Shawmut Avenue. No stop.
- 11:13. O’Bryant Park High School. 12
- Madision Park High School. No stop.
- 11:14. Tremont Street - Roxbury Crossing. 11
- Tremont Street at Prentiss Street - Boston Police Headquarters. No stop.
- 11:16. Ruggles Station. End of the line.
Out of a total of 40 stops, 32 were taken at a minute between stops. Total time elapsed: 36 minutes. This isn’t too bad and probably not too much longer than regular traffic. The number of people getting on and off were one or two per stop except in Mattapan and at Dudley Station.
Would the 28X be faster? It’s hard to say, but probably not on a Saturday morning. If more people had been getting on at every stop, which I assume is what happens during weekdays, the trip would have been much longer. All in all, it was a pleasant trip. A tip f the fedora to Operator 67942 for an enjoyable ride.