Saturday, January 29, 2011

A peek inside Whalehead King's studio - New Orleans


A work in progress.  Oil on canvas.  The blue is placeholder acrylic for the brown oils that will make up the text.  I'm not thrilled with the forest green/burnt umber color scheme but it needs to be authentic. It is the color scheme of the streetcars themselves as well as the color of the iconic menu pictured at the bottom of this previous post.   Dimensions are 4'x2'.  Too large to sell off the fence in Jackson Square but suitable for reproduction on postcards and such once all the brushwork is completed.

I'll post regular updates of this painting as they develop.  Anyone interested in owning the original can contact me at whaleheadking(at)gmail.com.  Put "St. Charles Line painting" in the subject line.  I'll retain all reproduction rights, but it will be a nice piece of work for a foyer or over a couch.  I am also happy to take requests for similar works with your favorite stops featured in the list.

While I've got some other New Orleans paintings in the works, this is the first fully realized one from start to finish.  I think of this as my first "official" New Orleans painting.  That will give it a little extra collector's item cachet.

Thanks, and happy riding!
WK

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails