Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Garden District Pub, New Orleans.

Garden District Pub, Magazine Street, New Orleans.  A nice place.

Within a block of each other, the Garden District Pub, The Saint, and the Half Moon, all offer enticing drinking experiences.  I tend to cotton more to the GDP.  It's a no frills place, basically a hallway with a bar in it and two rest rooms at the farthest point from the front door.  The conversation is good and there's no overloud music.  It's a talking bar and a sipping bar.  Nothing fancy, just a comfortable place to cool your heels at day's end.

“I never changed anything, except my socks and my underwear.  And I never did anything to glorify myself or improve my lot.  I took what came and did the best I could with it.”
–Robert Mitchum

Garden District Pub has a website.  Read the history page on their site.  If you find yourself in the neighborhood, succumb to temptation and pop in.  This is what a bar should be.  It's old school like a cable-knit cardigan you can't bear to toss because it has served you well for decades no matter how many times the styles have changed since your grandmother gave it to you. 

I'm not a regular patron and no money exchanged hands to post this review.  They don't know I'm doing it and I doubt anyone there would know me from Adam or Caesar if I walked in tonight.  I just like it.  A tip of the fedora to Dianne and Veronica.

Cheers!
WK

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails